Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Serving and Learning Together

Working with my partner Lauren Brown and my student LaShawn Sweet was fun. We were initially working with a girl named Paige, but because we were not able to work with her on the days we had planned, we decided to work with LaShawn so that would be able to complete the projects for the program. LaShawn was very interested in the project. She had great ideas for all of the projects. She's a very bright young girl. I have no doubt that she will do great things in the future.

Making the dream collage with LaShawn was fun. She chose the careers: Actress, doctor, and president. I was very fascinated with the president career choice. Although her first choice is to be an actress, I have faith in her to be president. I wouldn't be surprised if she became the first African American woman to become president of the United States. She's very smart and would do an awesome job.

Writing the career essay with her was cool. She knew exactly what she wanted to say, but wasn't afraid to get help. I helped her organize the outline and from there we were able to write a great essay about being an actress.

The action plan was a little tough. She had to think towards the future focusing on specific things. It frustrated her at first, but once we got going it was a piece of cake. I'm pretty sure that the action plan will keep her motivated in school.

The exploring your dream careers assignment was fun. She mainly focused on the actress career. She learned a lot, as did i, about what it takes to be an actress. She read so many things about being an actress, which made her want to be one even more.

The most encouraging part about working with her was her motivation. She was very willing to learn which made it more fun. While learning about careers, we also learned about each other. I learned so much about her, like how smart she is and how polite she is. She was very respectful, which made her easy to work with.

I loved every minute I spent working with her and I will never forget it. I hope I have made a difference in her just like she has made a difference in me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment